Wednesday 2 May 2007

Prologue

so.. I guess you are wondering what on earth is the title of this blog. What the hell is onion in fruit salad.
Is that supposed to be funny or something. It's a bit lame I know, but it is how I feel about my life.

Bear with me while I take you on possibly the worst analogy you have ever encountered.

Think of life like a salad. Different people's lives are like different kinds of salads. Different ingredients get mixed together to make a single harmonious tasty dish. There are traditional hard working green salads, strong filling cesar salads, warm chicken salads, sweet fruit salads. There are exotic salads with nuts, cheeses, olives and green leaves and mangoes and oranges and all kinds of dressings. You get my point. We pick and choose our own ingredients and somehow it all just works. We know how to pick the right ingredients.

Some of us can't seem to get the right combination. We go through life confused, not knowing exactly where we are headed or where we belong. We start off trying to be a traditional green salad, then we see some other person's recipe and we like it so we try to borrow some ideas... those people are like me. We end up with onion in our fruit salad.

I like to think I know where I'm headed. I've always had a plan and have always been determined and driven. I've always done well with whatever life threw at me (and believe me a lot was thrown my way). I'm doing well for myself, I have a lot...

but late at night, when I sit back in a bed flooded with moon light. When I have time to think alone and be honest with myself. I realise that I'm not really where I had planned to be. I'm not where I thought I was headed. I had improvised when I couldn't find what I looked for and I had taken what came easy.... So I ended up with this life. It's a perfect combination of fresh ripe fruit, it is something to be envied. Everybody does envy it. Everyone wants a piece of it... but get up close and the onion will make you cry.

It is there, it is inescapable.... and you know what... I haven't finished yet. I'm still improvising and I have no idea what will be in the end.

No comments: